[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Supporting different modes in default pmwiki

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Mon Aug 8 14:15:04 CDT 2005

At 2005-08-07  08:24 PM +0100, Hans is rumored to have said:
>or using markup conditions like
>(:if auth admin:)(:skin adminmode:)(:if:) or
>(:if skin admin:)..special admin links..(:if:)

           *** apologies if this has already been resolved - I am working
through an email backlog ***

Part of this thread has confused "authenticated" or "authorized" with
"author" by assuming that they all are abbreviated "auth". (Note that the
docs use both "authenticated" and "authorized" when referring to the
conditional markup. Strictly speaking the term to use is "authorized". )

In the markup above, (:if auth admin:) is checking to see if the user has
been authorized with the admin password.

The markup (:if skin admin:) (which I don't think exists, but is being used
as an example) is trying to decide what skin to use based on the type of
audience member (in this case, admin) is accessing the page - where the
mechanism for declaring an individual a particular type of audience member
is still being debated.

So just to be pedantic, the audiences are: reader, author, admin (where the
latter is an abbreviation); and the authorization states are: read, edit,
upload, attr, admin

See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ConditionalMarkup

Neil

Neil Herber