[pmwiki-users] Supporting different modes in default pmwiki

gdb at soundchasers.com gdb at soundchasers.com
Sun Aug 7 22:42:30 CDT 2005

Quoting Thomas -Balu- Walter <list+pmwiki-users at b-a-l-u.de>:

> On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 10:30:59AM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
>> * A ''reader'' uses the wiki site to find information and he is thus
>> * An ''author'' contributes contents to the site. He also reads pages,
>> * An ''administrator'' ... hmm, in addition to probably being an author,
>
> I am not sure wether I like this kind of split. In a Wiki a reader
> should usually also be an author. Having those handled differently will
> surely make it more difficult to have readers write content too.

It would only make it more difficult if you specify that you want to
have users
follow these roles.

IMO, this depends on your application of a wiki.  In some cases it makes sense
to have these roles to allow structuring the information going into the site.
In other cases, the wiki should be open to anyone with anything to contribute.

Personally, I tend to walk different lines with different applications.  My
personal site is open to me to add pages to.  On some pages I allow anyone to
add a comment if they want.  Other pages are there to be read, searched, etc.

At work, I have a wiki that is used for posting tracking information
to.  Anyone
on my immediate team needs to be able to edit and update this
information.  I am
still the administrator, reorganizing and moving information as necessary.
Anyone outside of my team can search and view, but not update the information.

So, I'm all for this kind of facility in the wiki -- as long as it can be
adjusted to fit the application.

Just my 2 cents.

// George