[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Supporting different modes in default pmwiki

Hans design at flutesong.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Aug 7 17:56:14 CDT 2005

Sunday, August 7, 2005, 10:36:34 PM, Bronwyn wrote:
> Hans, the other day you wrote that you wanted standard wikipages for
> action lists and other skin furniture.  This is just a different kind
> of skin furniture, and standards will be equally beneficial.  Having a
> standard set of modes gives both users and skin authors a baseline for
> what modes are most important and what kinds of features they need.
> It is then up to the skin authors to choose what modes they'll support
> in a skin, or even create new modes.

I would like to support some standard for skin config pages for action
lists, what you call skin furniture, so it may be used by different
skins. If indeed we create a set of modes which can be applied across
skin it will be good to agree on certain standards of what each mode
should contain, as a minimum.

As I read all the ideas about what should be part of what mode, I
notice that most is related to functionality, to set of links to
actions and pages, and page related info. In other words: all part of
the 'skin furniture' configuration pages, for skins which use such,
with just a bit of help using css to emphasise certain parts.

So we could write a set of standard menu pages for page actions,
links, navigation etc, breaking these into divisions for the various
modes, supported by css classes for better visual display.
Okay, I think I can follow that. I support introducing an (:if mode
..:) conditional markup and a general $Mode variable.

Modelling it on Author it could be:

##(:if mode conditional markup:
$Conditions['mode'] = "\$GLOBALS['mode']==\$condparm";

with a global array variable $Mode.

This could be set with a cookie by ?setmode=....
and without a cookie by ?mode=....

Candidates for $Mode are so far:
$Mode = array('stealth', 'standard', 'author', 'admin');

Possible confusion over the terms author and admin,
since author is a name of a variable and admin a keyword in
DefaultPasswords.
Can we come up with unique names for these modes?

Best,
~Hans