[pmwiki-users] audiences revisited or revised ???

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Aug 5 09:45:27 CDT 2005

Henrik Bechmann wrote:

>> Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>>*find* the docs for all markup
>
> There could be a markup index

There is already one (the Markup Master Index).

The problem is that it is already too much. And it doesn't mention every
form that a markup may have. Besides, it does not (and *can not*)
mention every markup extension that has been installed.

>> If the author copies&pastes some unknown markup to that field and
>> clicks the button or link beside it
>
> Search field with scope set to Markup group?

No, that won't cut it. IIRC, PmWiki searches wiki source text, not
rendered text. (Otherwise, it would have to render every single page
before searching it, and searches are slow enough as they are.) The end
effect is that you'll see every page that *uses* the markup, not the
pages that *shows* its syntax.

I'm rather suggesting something like setting up pages named
PmWiki.Markup-<rulename>, where <rulename> is the name of the markup
rule that was given in the Markup() call. The markup search can then run
the wikitext snippet through the markup rule table, find the markup that
affects the foremost part of the snippet, and display that. Or it might
run the snippet normally through the markup, note which rules were
triggered, and return a list of all corresponding
PmWiki.Markup-<rulename> pages.

> In general I think that if there is going to be an ambitious upgrade to
> the documentation (not yet an established goal), the project could be
> run in a formal way, beginning with a statement of goals and objectives,
> an analysis of audiences, technical specs for the structure of the
> documentation, etc.

That's being done right now, I think...

 > And ideally the project would be organized in some
> way -- project leader (Pm), sub-groups for sections of the
> documentation, etc.

... and that kind of organisation will establish itself as needed.

Regards,
Jo