[pmwiki-users] Re: pmwiki-users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 33

Henrik Bechmann henrik at bechmannsoftware.com
Thu Aug 4 22:19:50 CDT 2005

FWIW,

The audiences I can see in this situation are:

reader
author
administrator
developer

The functions by which documentation could be organized correspond to this:

reading
authoring
administering
developing

A refinement would be a basic/advanced matrix:

reading-basic
reading-advanced
authoring-basic
authoring-advanced
administering-basic
administering-advanced
developing-basic
developing-advanced

In addition there could be a "getting started" and "roadmap" for each
function

The documentation divisions would of necessity be somewhat arbitrary,
though the principles for such categorization could and should be
documented. To accomodate such arbitrariness, the documentation could
and should have a glossary and an index. To control the documentation,
it should have the usual format, structure, and best practices guidelines.

Finally, documentation implementation (such as search performance) and
management (such as scalability, change management) issues could be
considered.

The developer section of the documentation would be the hard core design
and implementation stuff, which incidentally could position the product
in terms of a rationale for an OOP implementation in version 3.

Shouldn't take more than a couple of years<grin>

- Henrik