[pmwiki-users] Re: Inter-map prefix for gmane articles?

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Thu Aug 4 16:26:44 CDT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 10:03:21PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > I've often wanted to link to mails on the pmwiki mailing list. So I wonder
> > if we could introduce an intermap prefix for linking to gmane articles
> > from wiki pages on pmwiki.org? This would make it more convenient to refer
> > to pmwiki-mails when writing documentation etc at pmwiki.org.
>
> Are you suggesting that this would be a permanent intermap entry
> for all sites, or just pmwiki.org?

Nah... I don't see much use for it outside pmwiki.org. Hmm, unless we
happen to ship documentation that refers to posts on gmane - don't know
about that one actually...

> > The only difficult thing is coming up with a suitable name for the
> > prefix... For instance, this URI
> >
> > 	http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/15705
> >
> > might be encoded as
> >
> > 	pmwiki-thread:15705
> >
> > I'm not sure about the name though...
>
> It would be "pmwiki-users:", of course.  :-)

I wasn't too clear here... the thing is that there are several ways to
view a post on gmane. For instance:

        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/15705
        http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/15705
        http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/15705

but I suggest we make it easy just go with either of the first two...

/Christian

PS. There's also some other interesting URIs such as

  http://rss.gmane.org/messages/complete/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user

but that's not relevant here.