[pmwiki-users] yet another documentation suggestion ...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 4 14:57:41 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 05:20:40PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> There are a lot of heuristics applied in that area. After all, since the
> search algorithm cannot really rate relevance, it has to guess it.
>
> I can think of the following heuristics:
> [...]
> How to weigh them against each other, I don't know. We could ask Google,
> but I suspect that this is the #1 trade secret of the company :-)

I'm more interested in knowing what heuristics other (open source and
simple) search engines might use, rather than trying to come up with
our own weighting or heuristics.  For example, if someone could point me
to a page that describes the htdig or swish-e heuristic, I might be
able to duplicate or approximate it in PmWiki without too much effort.