[pmwiki-users] Visble anchors (Re: FAQ Page Layout)

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Aug 4 12:13:58 CDT 2005

Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2005-08-04  06:49 PM +0200, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
>
>> So in short, I think the FAQ should have visible anchors. As for a link
>> that goes back to the TOC, that's useful for those people who don't feel
>> like pressing the HOME key... :-)
>

> If the FAQ has a TOC, then the link that the TOC provides points
> directly to the (invisible) anchor. In Firefox under Windoze, you can
> right-click on a link and select "Copy Link Location" which you then
> paste into the email. I hope that all other browsers work the same way.
>
> Having a visible anchor does not provide this facility - rather, it lets
> the reader see where the anchor is. (Unless I grossly misunderstand
> visible anchors). In a FAQ, the target will always be the question, so a
> visible anchor is just redundant page decoration.

The visible anchor still has an advantage: if you found the information,
somewhere down the middle of the page, you know you can give people a
link that points directly to the middle of the page. Without having to
points to a given paragraph (one *might* assume that the ToC tells you,
but titles can be misleading, ambiguous, or simply wrong - I'd have to
check that the ToC entry indeed points to the right paragraph, and
mostly I don't want to bother with that).

Though I think it's neglect of the browser vendors that anchors aren't
visible by default. (Luckily, it's easy to set up a style sheet that
does it.)

Of course, the one thing that a visible anchor *still* doesn't provide
is the link location. One would have to make each anchor a link to
itself. Doing that by CSS might be possible, otherwise PmWiki would have
to generate the appropriate markup.
If we want to follow down that route, that is :-)

Regards,
Jo