[pmwiki-users] FAQ Page Layout

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 18:04:52 CDT 2005

On 8/3/05, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> At 2005-08-02  10:33 PM -0700, H. Fox is rumored to have said:
> >On 03 Aug 2005 10:50:42 +1200, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
> > > FYI
> > >
> > > The Cookbook:PageTableOfContents is designed to pick up Q: markup
> > > and generate a list of links to all the questions. When questions are
> > > very long, you can insert Christian's invisible stop (`.) and the
> > > table of contents only shows the text up to the stop, followed by
> > > an ellipsis. In ordinary text, invisible stops are, well, invisible.
> > >
> > > If the page includes major headings to separate the Q: tags, these
> > > headings appear in the TOC.
> >
> >I was tempted to suggest something like that, but it seemed like a lot
> >to ask. :-)
>
> I really like this idea, but to make it work for a FAQ that was part of the
> distribution (as it is now), wouldn't the PageTableOfContents recipe need
> to be installed by default?

That, or something similar but compatible would need to bee built into PmWiki.

Fancy navigation aside, here's a first draft of some styling that
seems to be multi-skin compatible:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/FAQDiv#normal

It's a mock-up of what you get using these CSS selectors:

    div.question { border:1px solid #cccccc; padding:0.1em;
        margin-top:0.5em; margin-bottom:0.2em;}
    div.answer { margin-left:30px; margin-bottom:0.5em; }

and this markup

    >>question<<
    This is a question.
    >>answer<<
    And an answer.

I tried this because I was thinking a switch to the div markup might
be a good idea, since it demonstrates the div markup and doesn't
interfere with existing Q:/A: markup.

Hagan