[pmwiki-users] Site.SideBar or Main.SideBar?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Aug 1 18:39:47 CDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 08:01:37PM +1000, Algis Kabaila wrote:
> First, I must apologise for not having read all the mail of this list.  There
> has been a lot of information coming through in an ever increasing stream...
>
> When I create a new group, references to it invoke the Site.SideBar, rather
> than Main.SideBar. That's fine, but I missed the plot: is the Site meant to
> eventually replace Main?   Is it preferable to make links to the new groups
> on the Site.SideBar, rather than the Main.SideBar?

The short answer to your question is "yes" -- the sidebar that appears by
default in all groups is now "Site.SideBar" instead of "Main.SideBar".

It's not so much that we intend to entirely replace "Main" with "Site"; we
just want to move the "overhead" pages out of Main and into a separate
group.  In other words, "Main" is still the default starting group, it's
just that it's now mostly empty instead of ending up with a lot of
utility pages in it.  This also means that we can put an edit password
on pages in the Site group and leave the pages in Main open for editing.

So, a standard PmWiki distribution will come with Main.HomePage and
Main.WikiSandbox, while the SideBar, Search, Preferences, AllRecentChanges,
ApprovedUrls, Blocklist, etc., go into the Site group.

Hope this helps to clarify things.