[pmwiki-users] Mail Post Manual Trigger

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Apr 30 14:32:31 CDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 11:06:49AM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Neil Herber wrote:
> >Wouldn't this require writing to a script or configuration file? Or does
> >mailpost have a dedicated page that it gets email addresses from?
>
> Mailpost addresses should be stored as page attributes.
>
> Finding what pages a given user has subscribed to can become a bit
> tedious that way. It's probably easier to let PmWiki scan the entire
> site and collect that information for all users at a time.

No, better is to make use of (improving as needed) PmWiki's page
cross-reference link capabilities.  Rather than have someone add an
email address to each individual page of interest, they should attach
their email address to a trail page of some sort that lists the pages
(and perhaps groups) they're interested in.  This makes it easy for
them to edit their watch lists by editing that trail page.
Individual pages can have links that say "add (or remove) this page
from my watchlist".

Then, when a page is edited, it uses the cross-reference link table
to determine which people need to be notified of the change.

We can also make the trails smarter, in that someone could specify
the types of changes they're interested in as well as the pages
of interest.

> >That means PmWiki need to be able to watch a POP3 mailbox or something
> >similar. Does such a facility exist?
>
> It needs that facility anyway, if only to verify that an email address
> exists and the human reading these mails approves getting PmWiki mails.

False -- for verification of email addresses I would definitely use
a "follow this link" feature.