[pmwiki-users] historical question

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Apr 29 08:57:56 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>> Are there any PmWiki markups that would conflict with *...*, _..._,
>> and /.../?
>
> At the moment, the only existing PmWiki markup that might conflict is
> the *'s for bullets; to start a line with bold text one would have
> to write something like
>
> [==]*this is bold* text

We might change the bullet markup to require a blank space after the
bullet(s).

I'm a bit reluctant to actually consider that. Bullet lists and bold
markup would have an awfully short Hamming distance that way. (Besides,
it would be incompatible with existing PmWiki sites.)

OTOH having *...* would be *very* convenient to have, particularly for
those who (like me) write may emails and are accustomed to using it.

> I've been toying with the idea of swapping the order of processing
> inline and link markup; if we did this then /.../ would mess with any
> sort of url or filename path.

Doesn't the URL markup use Keep() to protect the results from further
markup processing?

Not that losing /.../ would bother me too much. I haven't ever seen it
before Mozilla Mail sort of popularised it. (OTOH I never liked that ''
''' '''' markup. '' and ''' and '''' look too similar in wiki syntax and
too dissimilar after rendering. I'd be perfectly happy to write *...*,
/.../, and */.../* instead. Repeated single quotes should have been used
for something else, and wiki tradition be d**ned.)

Regards,
Jo