[pmwiki-users] I18n action lists

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Apr 26 11:56:37 CDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 06:06:56PM +0200, Pierre Rouzeau wrote:
> Just one comment:
> the {$Group}/$[RecentChanges] page was not treated like that till now
>
> it was in the pmwiki template :
>
> So I feel it is better to stay with $[$Group/RecentChanges] for page
> name, in order to maintain compatibility, and also in order to have the
> possibility to differentiate the display name from the page name.

Unfortunately, it won't work that way, since $Group isn't converted
to a group name within a wiki page.  $[$Group/RecentChanges] in
the wiki text would be translated into $Group/RecentChanges, which
then becomes a link to (literally) "Group.RecentChanges", as opposed
to the current group.

To work in wiki markup, the result would have to translate into
"{$Group}/RecentChanges".  Since we're going to have to change the
translation phrase anyway, we might as well drop the {$Group} from
the phrase key and just use {$Group}/$[RecentChanges].  The
display name and page name are still differentiated (by the space).

And since getting RecentChanges to translate properly requires a
customization in config.php anyway, perhaps the changing of RecentPages
to another language belongs completely in the config.php script and
not in the XLPage file:

    XLSDV('fr', array('RecentChanges' => 'ChangementsRécents'));
    $RecentChangesFmt['$Group.$[RecentChanges]'] = '...';

Note that the change I'm proposing doesn't break any existing skins
(that are currently using $[$Group/RecentChanges]) -- it only affects
skins that use wiki pages to hold action links.