[pmwiki-users] SALIENCE for the WikiSite's terms of use, copyright, copyleft, and etc?

Monty pmwiki at ioioi.us
Tue Apr 26 11:40:23 CDT 2005

 > On another hand, I have scratched my head for some time before
 > choosing a license, and this is not a simple decision, the infos on
 > the subject being large and confusing.
 > Isn't that a bit off-topic in the wiki doc ?

Pierre, I don't think it is off-topic per se, since the pmwiki
documentation includes things such as wiki philosophy, audience, users
and such - wiki copy licensing fits in there.

But as others have mentioned, giving any specific advice would be
dangerous, and as such including it would have repurcussions and
expenses that Pm should not have to incur.  The GPL/free side of PmWiki
does not generate revenue for him.

I don't think it off topic or dangerous, tho, to have a doc page
discussing what OTHER organizations are doing about wiki licensing, for
example the Creative Commons, the Free Software Foundation legal team,
et. al.  Pm has even solicited copy and suggestions to that effect?

 > Hello, what I have done for a wiki I am administering is to set a
 > variable in the PageFooter, and I fill this variable in the
 > local/config.php file. If the variable is empty, noone knows, and an
 > admin is free to fill in following his/her desire.
 > I have named this variable $LicenseSite, but that is a bit ambiguous
 > as  said in another post, as the site can be larger than the Wiki.

I was thinking of the plain language legal copy, but yes, CC licenses
have an XML code component - and to include it, we must consider your
idea of having a $LicenseSite like variable or some file include syntax
in the template itself.

 > Though, I think we can agree with a variable name to be set in all
 > skin template files.
 >
 > See below how the variable is set in the template:

Thanks for this information!!  Great stuff.  We should preserve it on
the PmWiki.org somewhere - please start a new PITS for the License code?
  At least we should create a Recipe for it?....

 > Regards
 > Pierre Rouzeau <pierre at rouzeau.net>

Monty