[pmwiki-users] The Edit Page - one liner? sub section only? like wikipedia.

Monty pmwiki at ioioi.us
Mon Apr 25 12:53:54 CDT 2005

Pm,

I'm glad that you're adding a "talk page" like Wikipedia has to PmWiki,
so that on pages with several (too many cooks in the kitchen?) authors,
WikiUsers can collaborate (work together and not apart).

I've been thinking for some time now (2 months) about how useful it
would be to allow the WikiUser to be able to focus on editing only ONE
LINE of a page.  That ONE LINE could be an additional bullet point, a
bookmark, a profile name & address, an image, or many other useful things.

But, as useful as the ONE LINE edit idea is, perhaps it could be
generalized into a SUB SECTION edit function - just like Wikipedia offers.

Pros:
* The novice or barely interested WikiUser gets to contribute his little
stroke to a page, without having to see tons of confusing (irrelevant to
her/him) "code"/copy s/he doesn't want to see
* Recipes could easily automate the ONE LINE edit, using Javascript, to
make it graphical and even very easy to contribute - lowering the
complexity and difficulty
* Conforms nicely to WikiPhilosophy of being writer-centric and
writer-favoring

Cons: (I'm groping for them)
* Mantime required to implement
* Another (action=editln?) edit function/page to maintain?

Thanks for considering this feature request!  I know that if you ponder
it for some time, and don't reject it quickly, you'll see many sides and
much value in the idea.  Maybe a 2.1 feature tho, but I thought I'd
bring it up Pm since you're focusing on The Edit Page now.

:)!

- Monty