[pmwiki-users] pmwiki.org slow again

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Apr 21 09:59:47 CDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 10:45:11AM -0400, Radu wrote:
> At 04:10 PM 4/20/2005, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> >I don't think it's a stuck harddrive, since then I'd expect pauses
> >between, say, serving the sidebar and the main contents (these are
> >separate file accesses).
>
> Um. From what I know of php, if not told otherwise it spools/caches its
> output and sends it out only once the entire page is done (or when calling
> some version of flush() that in turn would make the php module run even
> slower)
>
> I like my pages to stream. This is in fact one of the reasons why I prefer
> cache-enabled over totally dynamic wikis. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong
> place, since Pm mentioned pmwiki is a bit difficult to cache.

I like my pages to stream also, but PmWiki can't do that *and*
preserve the ability for page markup to affect things in the <head>
section of the document or that occur prior to the markup itself
For example, things like  (:title:), (:noleft:), (:description:),
(:keywords:), etc. can become awfully hard to manage in a dynamic
environment such as PmWiki.  It doesn't do much good to draw the
headings and sidebar only to discover that someone put (:noleft:)
in the page text.  :-)

That said, the new authorization routines allow us to write
an HTML cache that is able to do the right thing with respect to
permissions and conditional markup, so that we don't have to re-render
the markup on every browse -- only the first browse after saving a
page somewhere.