[pmwiki-users] Maybe i'm dumb

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Apr 20 10:49:26 CDT 2005

At 2005-04-15  05:36 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>This page presents an excellent opportunity for me to ask another
>question.  When writing PmWiki documentation I often think of it in
>terms of two audiences -- authors and wiki admins.  The
>PmWiki.ConditionalMarkup page, as it stands now, mixes the two audiences
>on a single by explaining how the markup works and also providing
>code that a wiki admin might use to add more conditions.
>Do these belong on separate pages, or on the same page, or ...?

Speaking in general terms (not specifically concerned with the
ConditionalMarkup page) I find it handy to have both author and admin info
on the same page, in part because I am both. What is needed is a clear
separation of the content with good headings, such as "If you are an author
..." or "If you are an admin ...". It does get confusing and hard to
navigate when the page is too long, and that might be the trigger to create
two pages - one for authors and one for admins. This all requires a
judgement call by the page author(s), but isn't that something that wikis
enable?

Even on pages that are directed specifically to admins or authors alone, I
find it helpful to see a line that identifies the intended audience. Would
it be useful to have an author and an admin category?

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668