[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 17:20:51 CDT 2005

On 4/17/05, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> Hmm... how about giving skin designers a way to say "action list #1 goes
> *here*, action list #2 goes *here*", and letting skin designers
> recommend which kinds of actions should go to what action list? That
> would allow wiki admins to easily experiment with different action
> groupings, for example.

You'd have to give a better example for me to judge properly, but you
might be making it more complex and less flexible.

Creating a system that does the right thing for the admin, but is
still easy to modify, is a big job, and I'm not sure we'd come up with
anything vastly better than we already have.  Obviously we could have
some elaborate arrangement with a central registry of actions, and
configuration files, and all that.

But, if Pm could tell me how to add classes or ids to elements through
the wiki markup, then I think I'd prefer to store the action lists and
so on in wikipages, because most admins will understand how to edit
those, and restore the old version if they make a mistake. I'd have
done it with Pukka except for the classes and ids problem.  Then, if
the default skin uses certain pages to store the actions for the
titleblock and footer, many other skins will use them too, so the
admin's configuration won't always disappear upon switching skins.
But, skin designers can still experiment with the grouping of the
commands by making their own set of wikipages, and telling the admin
where they are.

So, does anyone know how to assign classes and ids to elements with wiki markup?

Bronwyn