[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Apr 15 10:08:48 CDT 2005

Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> On 4/8/05, Hans <design at flutesong.net> wrote:
>
>>Friday, April 8, 2005, 10:36:44 AM, Joachim wrote:
>>
>>>So I first installed a few skins. Found that some of them had actions in
>>>them that weren't installed at that point. Cursed - I'd have to remove
>>>the action to avoid confusing my friend, then re-install them as soon as
>>>I'd get around to installing those recipes that implemented the action.the layout.
>>
>>This sounds like bad skin design. The skin should not show any
>>features which require special cookbook scripts, it should be all part
>>of the skin package.
>
> Myself, I think it's fine for a skin to work in special features that
> require recipes, so long as they tell you what recipes.  Ideally the
> skin developer could also provide toggles to hide the UI for said
> features, or a version that doesn't include them.

I'm a wiki administrator. I'm not using the wikis that I set up, I do
that on behalf of users.
If a user wants skin A and feature B, I'm grateful if I can install and
test them independently of each other.
If, on the other hand, skin A requires a recipe C, it might conflict
with B. Or have security implications. Or simply need testing to check
whether it's working properly. In either case, I have additional work
that wasn't asked for (and, if I were doing this for money, nobody would
pay me for it).

Of course, if a skin has some nifty feature that needs an extra recipe
to work, *and* the user I'm installing the wiki for wants that feature,
there's nothing wrong with that.
It's just that skins should be decoupled from recipes as far as
possible. As a rule.

Regards,
Jo