[pmwiki-users] questions about user authentication

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Apr 14 16:21:58 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 05:06:43PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>
>>>Do you want to use PAM in the sense of authorizing against the
>>>user accounts already on the system (which PAM supports) or
>>>some arbitrary database of passwords (which PAM doesn't support)?
>>
>>I'm not sure that the former is worth the effort. It's sure a great time
>>saver for those who have root access to the machine with their PmWiki
>>installation (I do), but I'm not sure that the user base warrants the
>>effort.
>>What mechanisms do you want to use? Does it need a PHP extension library
>>- and, if yes, which one?
>
> How about something like http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~ccunning/pam_auth/ ?

That's what I had found, too.

I don't know enough about PHP to install such a module successfully (at
least not unless I do some serious reading on php.net). PmWiki should
document the options for that, or give pointers to the php.net docs.

Might also have some issues with safe mode or other PHP installation
stuff. Not a serious problem: to configure PAM for PmWiki, you need root
access anyway (/etc/pam.d/ is owned by root and write-protected for
World, with excellent reasons...).

Regards,
Jo