[pmwiki-users] searchbox design

Hans design at flutesong.net
Thu Apr 7 12:33:28 CDT 2005

Thursday, April 7, 2005, 6:02:35 PM, Patrick wrote:
> If a substitution variable contains other variables to be substituted
> (e.g., $ScriptUrl or $[phrase]), then the variable name has to end
> with "Fmt" in order for it to be processed before the other
> variables are processed.  So, try $SidebarSearchbox instead.

You meant $SidebarSearchboxFmt. This works great, thank you!
Is this ...Fmt substitution rule documented anywhere, and if not,
where could it go? Skin design I suppose.

> Still better, let's fix up the (:searchbox:) markup itself and
> then we can just do <!--markup:(:searchbox:)--> in the skin templates.  :-)

In my case this is not strictly needed, nor perhaps desirable. The
reason for moving the html code out of the skin.tmpl is to be able to
switch it off with a variable setting in skin.php:
$ShowSidebarSearchbox = 0; (or =1;)
This will provide an option for an admin to disable the searchbox in
the template and use markup (:searchbox:) at a different location if
desired, like pagetop, page bottom or bottom of sidebar, or none at
all, or only in certain groups etc.

You may also have noticed that I added some javascript code to the
searchbox for focus control, and  inserted text into the input field,
so it is redefined. A typical case where a skin designer messes both
with a wiki core component, with function, with lables (names) which
may need translating, and looks and placement.

Best,
~Hans