[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Apr 6 14:07:03 CDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:40:47PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> i18n doesn't work well with action names anyway.
> In fact most of the action entries in skins that I have seen don't use
> i18n at all, and I had to hand-translate them.
> In another, "more normal" case, I saw an action list that was a mixture
> of standard actions (properly enclosed in $[...]) and recipe-specific
> actions written without the i18n stuff surrounding them. I'm not sure
> how to prevent such things from happening in the future.

IMO, this is all just because the skin designers aren't designing for
i18n.  It's not at all hard to put the $[...] around any label that might
need translating into another language.

And the fact that skin designers aren't considering the needs of i18n,
when it's fairly trivial to do so, means it's also likely that skin
designers won't consider the complexities/importance of implementing
shared actions lists either.  If we throw too much complexity into the
system, then we end up barring (or discouraging) a lot of potential
skin creators and site admins.