[pmwiki-users] Public/private wiki pages (was: PmWiki group)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Apr 6 06:17:21 CDT 2005

At 2005-04-06  09:40 AM +0200, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
>Could this strategy help with keeping one part of the wiki "public" and
>the rest "private"? This goes back to the desire of letting certain
>customers and consultants access only certain pages.
>
>I've no experience with fields, but what if I created a "public" field and
>then used the code above to let that field see "private" pages?

I think you can do most of what you want with groups and group-level read
passwords. I use a farm with fields to isolate completely different
clients. For example, FieldA for client A, FieldB for client B, and so on.
Within a field, I use groups to isolate pages from client groups. For
example, FinanceGroup, AdminGroup, SalesGroup. I use read passwords to
control access to the groups (if needed).

The only problem with this scheme is that out-of-the-box, PmWiki leaks
information about private groups via the search and pagelist directives. In
some cases this is not a problem. Where you need complete privacy, you can
easily add some lines to local config to protect the private groups. (I
don't have those lines handy right now ... sorry!)

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668