[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Apr 5 14:30:45 CDT 2005

At 2005-04-05  02:06 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> > Since admins can add as many bars et alia as they wish, why not establish
> > the minimal standard set for PmWiki as four "bars" (call them what you
> > will) at the top, bottom, left and right. They would each be populated
> from
> > a PmWiki page, or omitted if the page was absent (or if suitable
> > conditional code was present).
>
>Except how does this resolve the original purpose of this thread,
>which was to have skin-invariant places for *actions*?  Just saying
>we'll allow top/bottom/left/right bars seems to have totally sidetracked
>this issue, which just shows that admin preferences aren't all that
>uniform, no?  When there's little uniformity, simplicity (with guidelines
>to the available "complex" choices) is probably best.

Having sidetracked things this far, I may as well plunge ahead with more
potentially divergent comments ...

By having "skin-invariant places for *actions*", I presume what is meant is
a way of allowing admins to code a simple skin and somehow include action
buttons via a name, the name being (perhaps) a wiki page.

Being a self-confessed  CSS ignoramus, I find anything that allows me to
tailor the look of my pages without getting out a hex-editor is welcome
indeed. In my ignorance, I probably mix content and structure, but I want
what I want (or need) and I get it using the path of least resistance in
most cases.

That being said, it would be great if PmWiki itself (with no added skins)
allowed me to have what I have called top, left, right, and bottom bars
that I could populate with links, text, and actions by editing wiki pages.
How this is implemented in the skin I leave to the CSS wizards.

I guess what I really want is to be able to have the equivalent of the
SideBar for all the page edges. The SideBar I understood as soon as I saw
it. Looking inside PmWiki.css and PmWiki.tmpl made my head hurt, and I
retreated quickly.

I agree - simplicity is the best choice, and for me that choice ended up
being a skin that provided the features I wanted.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668