[pmwiki-users] International characters in links

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Apr 4 09:53:08 CDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 02:07:46PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> for some reason, umlauts get replaced by empty space on one of my PmWiki
> installations, and I don't know why. Is there a checklist that I can use
> to find out where exactly things go wrong?
>
> An example link is at http://www.maquaris.de/Main/WikiSandbox, the wiki
> has ?action=diag enabled.

Looks to me as though that system is defaulting to a strange or
incorrect locale.  As a result, it's treating non-ASCII characters
as being non-alphanumeric, so PmWiki's MakePageName() function thinks
they are punctuation and removes them.

Try adding

   setlocale(LC_ALL, 'de_DE');

to your local/config.php and see if that resolves the problem.

I also notice (via ?action=phpinfo) that this site is running a fairly
old version of PHP (4.1.2) and PCRE (3.4, 22-Aug-2000).  It's
possible that PHP on this site isn't properly recognizing the
POSIX character classes such as [:alnum:], [:alpha:], [:digit:], etc.