[Pmwiki-users] pmwiki-2.0.devel9 released

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Sep 30 14:04:48 CDT 2004

I've just released pmwiki-2.0.devel9, and PmWiki 2 is rapidly stabilizing.
Initial reports from people using it have been that it is much easier to
customize and use than previous versions of PmWiki.

For those who may be relatively new to PmWiki and may be wondering why
we're talking about major changes to something that already works so well,
see http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki2/pmwiki.php/Main/WhyANewMajorVersion .

This devel release adds support for advanced tables and an initial script
for converting pages in 1.x markup to the 2.0 markup.  It also adds more
documentation, but there's still a lot of work to be done there.  Anyone
who wants to help with documentation could do so by starting to fill in
links at http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki2/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/DocumentationIndex.

The details of the preliminary conversion script are documented at

   http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki2/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/UpgradingFromPmWiki1

and you can see it perform at

   http://www.pmwiki.org/work/convert-test/pmwiki.php

This latter URL is an example of a PmWiki 2 installation reading content from
the main pmwiki.org (PmWiki 1.0.10) installation without any manual editing.
I expect the conversion script to be able to go outside the bounds of
the markup supplied by the default PmWiki 1.x distribution -- i.e., I'll
accept proposals for automatic markup conversions that come from 1.x cookbook
recipes or other sources.

Comments and questions welcome as always.  The items now on my hit list:
   * $Name, $Title, $Titlespaced, etc.
   * automatic spacing of WikiWords (AsSpaced)
   * WikiWordCounts
   * WikiWord pattern filters (i.e., exclude certain patterns)
   * PHP diff engine
   * Improved error message handling/diagnostics