[Pmwiki-users] section edits

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis
Fri Sep 24 10:06:25 CDT 2004

This has gotten eaten on the 1st and 2nd sends, so I'm trying again.

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:16:17 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 01:06:58PM -0700, Fred Chittenden wrote:

> It could be used that way, but I'm planning to add a comment/talkback
> feature directly into the wiki.  The biggest difference is that one might
> want different levels of authorization for "edit page" and "comment".

Definitely!  Anyone using PmWiki as a CMS rather than a public wiki will
appreciate this.

> Well, I think it needs to be somewhat "automatic" in that authors shouldn't
> *have* to write additional markup in order to enable section edits.
> And of course it'd be configurable so that an administrator could choose
> what sequences delimit a section--I guess I'm asking for what a good
> default would be.

Having a sitewide default that can be overriden per page or group would
probably be best.  I think I'd like it to assume a new section at any h1,
h2, h3, or hr, unless otherwise marked.  Chunks like this should be
considered one section rather than more:

!Heading 1
!!Heading 2
!!!Heading 3

A bunch of body text here

How do you intend to know which section people wanted to edit?

>> To make a blog, it would seem one might offer a section "blog command" to
>> start up some sort of blog/posting window for blog posts, with blog posts
>> being attached to that wiki page section (front or back) with a date stamp.
>
> Yup, this is what I'm heading towards.  I'm trying to decide if comments/
> blog replies from the masses should be appended to existing pages, or if
> they should create trails of separate pages.

It is typical to display the comments beneath the article, on the same
page.  Storing the comments on a separate wikipage is a good idea, and
only an include directive is required.  Storing each comment on its own
page would probably be cumbersome.

The HTML used for the template should be modern and standards-compliant.
I suggest a div that holds all comments, and then a div for each comment.
That will make them much easier to style.  I can make a code sample with
lipsum text if needed.

Also, had you seen my big article on blog features for PmWiki (over at
http://arndis.godsong.org/Aerie/IWantABliki)?  I added it to the relevant
PITS page.  Figuring out how to add my comments to PITS gave me some good
ideas, too.  PITS is wikitext with directives showing where the generated
content should go, and a new page form.  Why not use the same kind of
mechanisms for the blog archive and to create new posts?

Bronwyn