[Pmwiki-users] PHP Diff Engine

Nils Knappmeier nk
Wed Sep 22 11:50:12 CDT 2004

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>Has anyone run into any problems using Nils Knappmeier's PHPDiffEngine
>with PmWiki?  I'm especially concerned about its performance on large
>pages.
>

 > I'm considering including it in the distribution (along with code to

>automatically load+configure it if the external diff utility is
>unavailable).

Wow, *g* I'm in PmWiki!.
A few words about the diff engine: The algorithm in the cookbook is
imperfect
but faster then the original one. Imperfect means, that there are some
cases, where
the algorithm creates diffs that do not look correct at the first glance
(but they are)
and are much bigger than the result of the system diff-command. I think
I included
an example in the cookbook.
Myself, I am using the old slow, memory hungry algorithm on my homepage
that produces
the same (or about the same results) as the GNU diff. I haven't had any
problems with diffs yet, but my pages are
not that big.

Although I proposed a structure for complex cookbook recipes, the
DiffEngine doesn't use it. I will work on that
today. I was too lazy and too busy in the past, but when I do that, I
will also include the algorithm that I am using at the moment.

Nils

home: http://www.knappi.org
icq: 11786572

The great thing about being the only species that makes
a distinction between right and wrong is that we can
make up the rules for ourselves as we go along.

Douglas Adams, Last Chance To See...