[Pmwiki-users] Group and Namespace

Pierre ROUZEAU pierre
Mon Sep 13 17:04:33 CDT 2004

Hello,
I am organising a Wiki based on PmWiki engine, which I'm discovering in
the process.

The Group entity is interesting for me to organise my data and having
differentiated menus, but a lot (in fact the wide majority) of WikiWords
are shared between the groups.
Having the NameSpace of WikiWords limited to only the given Group is a
big limitation, because it complexify the task of the writer who have to
search what is the group owner of a given WikiWord.

Application : My site shall be about Hobby Machining and it may be
organised somewhat like that :

A/ Machine construction
. Part 1
. Part 2
. Part 3
B/ Utilisation
.Step 1
.Step2
C/ Parts realizations
.Exemple1
.Exemple2

I want different menus for chapters A/, B/, C/; each menu referring to
the pages of the given chapter.
Though, it is imperative that the namespace be common to chapter A/ B/
and C/, those things being heavily interlinked, the organisation being
only representative of a schedule.

I see two solutions :
1/ That multiple groups share namespace, or simply that there is only a
unique namespace on all the Wiki. How to do that ?

2/ All my chapters are in the same Group, but in that case I shall
defines for each part sort of a 'Chapter name', and adapt the Menu to
this Chapter. How to do that ?

I think the solution 1/ is better, because it is a better data
organisation, for searching by example, but is it possible ?

On a general matter, I don't really understand the obligation to limit
namespace to a Group. It can be interesting to have local namespace for
things like :
GroupDog.teeth
GroupCat.teeth
GroupChicken.teeth (uh ?)

So local namespace makes sense, but the occurrence of conflicting
WikiWords may be very low compared to unique WikiWords on a full site,
even for a very wide site.
So asking the Author to precise when he want a local WikiWord instead of
an already existing by writing a prefix may required much less work than
requiring him/her to write Group/WikiWord for *a lot* of WikiWord. Plus,
he shall know or search the group owner of the WikiWord.
We may use by example for a local WikiWord : ?MyWikiWord , which will
force to create a local occurrence even if MyWikiWord exists in another
group.

Even with the existing isolated namespaces, when creating a new page,
some options shall be proposed to the user alongside the editing window:
1/ This WikiWord already exist in this OtherGroup, Link to it
2/ Search the Wiki for similar Words
3/ This is an user, link to the Profiles group

for option 2/ similar words mean having common components, or
singular/plural differences or in foreign languages different
accentuation for letters (say e,?,? for example)

We may use the sidebar to propose theses options, because having the
current sidebar is of no use while editing.
In fact i think all the editing buttons/fields are better placed in the
sidebar, allowing a longer editing window.

Regards

Pierre Rouzeau - Proud indigenous of old Europe
CNC Router - Fraiseuse CN  www.otocoup.com <http://www.otocoup.com>
Hovercraft model - A?roglisseur mod?le www.aeroglisseur.com