[Pmwiki-users] Re: Category implementation

Gunnar Wagenknecht g.wagenknecht
Thu Oct 28 00:38:11 CDT 2004

John Rankin wrote:
> I had rather thought that the link text would be '!XYZ', so

Why should the '!' be part of the link text? Mhm, sounds weird to me.

Anyway, if you really start to implement it, why not making it a complete
solution? Having said this, I'm thinking of categories as
tags/parameters/classifiers of a page not as links.

Categories should not be converted to links (should not be visible).
Categories should be stored within the page (for easy backup purposes).
Categories can be displayed optionally by putting '(:categories fmt=page:)'
into the text.
There will be checkboxes when editing a page to simply select all belonging
categories.
The complete category tree will be shown with '(:categories:)'.

I know it's quite a bit of work to implement it this way, but it's worth
doing it. People will just love it to simply check a few checkboxes for
classifying their pages. Of course there can also be a text field where
people just enter a comma seperated list of categories a page belongs to.

Just my two cents. ;)

Gunnar