[Pmwiki-users] Re: Categories instead of hierarchies?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Oct 26 07:09:00 CDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 07:54:31AM +0000, Knut Alboldt wrote:
> John Rankin <john.rankin <at> affinity.co.nz> writes:
> > 3. no changes to PmWiki are needed -- just put
> >     [[Category/XYZ]]
> >   on the page
> > 4. do we want a special markup for categories?
>
> I would prefer it, although it would be good if 3. would be possible
> additional to 4.

It's possible, although I think it might be better if we have some way
for a page to link to a category page without automatically becoming a
member of the category.  In fact, this point alone may argue strongly for
categories having a special markup, so that [[Category/XYZ]] can be
"link but not membership".  It's still possible to get a list of all
pages that link to Category.XYZ and all pages that are a member of
category XYZ.

> In my opinion, it would be good to keep this markup as links, so categories
> would be listed in the target=-section of a page. This would make it possible,
> to add the link=-parameter, Patrick suggested (or if needed an own
> search-markup), so the search for categories would be done only within the
> target=-section and within the textpage itself just to get not any other text
> incidently.

We can always add a category= attribute to the pages as well as having
target= if we need to distinguish between the two.