[Pmwiki-users] How to check out PmWiki 2 via CVS

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Oct 25 18:58:36 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 11:36:08PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > It's the standard location to place cookbook recipes, as an alternative
> > to 'local/'.
>
> Um.. why not put them in a directory called local/cookbook?
> Or a directory called local/scripts?

That can happen--but I figured it was easier for newbie admins to
understand if cookbook appeared at the top level.  Also, I think
that include_once('cookbook/something.php') and
include_once('cookbook/recipe/recipe.php') read a lot nicer than
with the 'local/' in front.

> As I understand it pmwiki is *never* supposed to write to either of these
> directories? (with the possible exception of .htaccess)

PmWiki still doesn't write to local/, and it'll never write to cookbook/
either.

> Maybe the "basic checkout" could actually be a "module" defined in
> CVSROOT/modules? It's been a while since I used that, but in principle it
> allows you to check out several directory structures in one operation.
> Have you ever used it?

Nope, but it's worth looking into.

> > Also, I think that those who are doing a "standard PmWiki install" ought
> > to be able to get everything in a single package rather than having to
> > get it all piecemeal just to support this particular situation (which I
> > don't think will be all that common).
>
> The standard install.. you mean from a .tgz?

No, I mean from a cvs checkout.  I think that most people (certainly
myself) who get PmWiki via checkout will want to use it to keep PmWiki
up-to-date but won't be all that interested in version-control of their
own local configuration files.  So, the checkout needs to be simplest
for them (and much like what one would see from a standard .tgz
install).

> Btw, a friend (he uses pmwiki 1) said he really likes that there is a
> "spatial" separation between pmwiki files and local configuration files. I
> agree with this, but I'm slightly worried that we're losing that with a
> cookbook/ and the pub/ directories.

I'll agree the separation is a bit blurrier this way, but I don't
have any plans to proliferate things to any more directories.  And
PmWiki doesn't require use of the cookbook/ directory.  But if
local/cookbook/ seems like a better place for recipes than cookbook/,
it's not at all a problem for me to change it.

> PS. It's really annoying with local/.cvsignore btw. In my local/ I don't
> want it because I want to be notified if I've forgotten to add a file
> there to my repository. However, if I do 'cvs update' from the directory
> above local/, then cvs updates local/.cvsignore :-(

Yeah, I can understand that.  But this is yet another point--for those
who simply want to use CVS to keep their copy of PmWiki up-to-date,
having the local/.cvsignore there by default is *really* handy.  Did
you try putting 'local' in the .cvsignore in the directory above local/?
This might keep CVS from the directory above from doing an update of
local/, yes?