[Pmwiki-users] Idea for overview of protected pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Oct 25 12:41:08 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 08:00:37PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 08:15:46PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > Would it be convenient if some action could create a list of pages in a
> > > group together with their access rights? I was thinking the result could
> > > be something like this:
> > > 	Page		Read	Edit	Admin
> > > 	SomePage
> > > 	AnotherPage		x	x
> > > 	FinalPage	x	x	x
> >
> > Would it be okay to put this feature into the ?action=refcount script?
> > It's already displaying a list of pages anyway.
>
> I don't think it matters what you have to do in order to extract the
> information.

Okay, sounds good.

> > Or, this could be done as a special "fmt=" parameter to (:pagelist:)
> > and (:searchlist:), although there's not yet a filter that says "show me
> > only the protected pages".
>
> It's been a while so.. is there a security risk with being able to list
> the information above?
> Or can anyone today see a list of all pages anyway? So the password
> information doesn't really give away that much extra?

At the moment, one can see the names of all pages via the search and
pagelist functions (except those pages that are excluded by various
search patterns).  This is true in both PmWiki 1 and PmWiki 2.  I can
set it up so that only authorized pages are displayed, but keep in mind
that in these sorts of functions PmWiki would not normally prompt for
authorization (i.e., if you're not already authorized to read the page,
you won't see it).

> > Maybe this feature deserves a PITS entry where it can be discussed over
> > a longer timeframe and voted upon.
>
> True... it's hardly urgent. If you reply with a suitable link, I'll place
> it there. (I've actually not used PITS yet!)

http://www.pmwiki.org/PITS is the PITS home page, with
http://www.pmwiki.org/PITS/NewIssue as the form for entering a new
issue.