[Pmwiki-users] Changing To Pmwiki 2.0 dev

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Oct 23 08:47:24 CDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 10:25:02AM -0400, Lee Corbridge, DVM wrote:
> I bit the bullet.  I am changing over from my installation of PmWiki
> 1.? to the new PmWiki 2.0 dev.

Excellent!

> The following markup does not work on
> my updated site :
> [[table align=center background: #ffffff; width: 90%']]
> [[cell align=center]]
> [++'''"Something Goes Here"'''++] \\
> [[$Search]]
> [[cellnr]]
> [[tableend]]
>
> All I want to do is align the [++'''"Something Goes Here"'''++] \\ in
> the middle of the page.  How can I do that?

%center% [++'''"Something Goes Here"'''++]
(:searchbox:)

> The old table format does not work.

It does, but the new markup is (:table:), (:cell:), (:cellnr:), etc.

> I have looked at the doc's and can't seem to find it
> anywhere and all of my attempts have failed.  Also putting in the
> [[$Search]] doesn't work either is there a new work around?

Yeah, the docs are out of date.  Feel free to point out specific pages
or features that seem to be missing from the docs, either here or
on PITS (http://www.pmwiki.org/PITS).

[[$Search]] is now (:searchbox:).  Almost everything that was [[...]]
and not a link in PmWiki 1 is now (:...:) in PmWiki 2.

Also, are you using the conversion script (script/compat1x.php) at all
to do the page migration?  If so, and it's not catching things like
[[$Search]], [[table]], etc. then I need to fix the script.  (See also
PmWiki.UpgradingFromPmWiki1.)

> Finally whenever I put a picture on the page it went to the far right
> of the page and the text after that would simply fill in under the
> original heading.  How do I code the pict so that it can do that again?

PmWiki 2 doesn't yet have floating image support (PITS #00009), but
it's on its way.  I'm still trying to decide if PmWiki should automatically
float images at the beginning/end of line or if we should just require
explicit %float=left% and %float=right% style markups...

> I am *very* happy that I am upgrading now and not later.  The initial
> change over was smooth and easy and I had no problems with the
> installation of 2.0.  However changing over all the information in the
> pages to allow for the new markup is a PITA.

The conversion script is supposed to simplify this greatly--if you can give
me examples of things that aren't converting properly, I'll get them added
very quickly.