[Pmwiki-users] Re: Categories instead of hierarchies? (was: can pmwiki handle hierarchical content?)

John Rankin john.rankin
Thu Oct 21 15:11:51 CDT 2004

On Friday, 22 October 2004 8:53 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

>> A category is just a descriptive tag that can help users find pages on
>> the same topic, by grouping them into their own list. It doesn't have
>> to change where the page lives.
>
>More to the point: a category is just a convention whereby pages belonging
>to the same category all have the same string or link on the page (i.e.,
>"CategoryXXX") so the entire set of pages in the category can be found
>by a simple search or backlinks operation.
>
>Indeed, it's almost the opposite of a WikiTrail -- a WikiTrail is an
>index page that contains links to all of the pages on the trail.
>A Category is a page that all pages in the category link to.  (Indeed,
>this makes me wonder if we should relate the trail markups to categories
>somehow...)

And the category page, which through (:searchresults [[!{$Name}]]:)
lists all the pages in the category thereby becomes a dynamically created
trail page. (using for now the ! as category markup), so in principle
the [[!somecategory]] markup on any given page *could* be turned into
alphabetic trail navigation...

Perhaps <<!somecategory!>> -- but then the rendering really should give
next and previous links.

--
JR