[Pmwiki-users] Re: Page tree with minimal syntax -- some problems

chr@home.se chr
Wed Oct 20 13:19:58 CDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 chr at home.se wrote:

> > Let's suppose I have a set of pages that collectively describe PmWiki,
> > such as documentation, FAQs, etc.  Clearly they belong in a common
> > group, such as "PmWiki", thus I have PmWiki.DocumentationIndex,
> > PmWiki.Installation, etc. I also need a page to serve as the "entry
> > page" to the group, to describe PmWiki itself.

> However, if we use a page tree we will have this structure:
> 	PmWiki		  (the entry page, now at the root level)
> 	  |-- DocumentationIndex
> 	  |-- FAQs
> 	  '-- Installation

> !!Referring to the parent page
>
> A lot of the documentation pages will want to refer to the parent page.
> However, using only the link syntax described so far this can only be done
> with an absolute link, i.e. [[/PmWiki]]

Here is another idea which allows pages to refer to their parent without
any special markup. Simply forbid child pages to be created with the same
name as the parent page. In our case it means that it would be
forbidden to create the page /PmWiki/PmWiki. As a consequence, when a
child page contains [[PmWiki]], this can be recognized as a link to the
parent.

> Note: To have the link render with the "/", it might have to be written as
> 	[[(/)PmWiki]].

This is no longer a problem if [[PmWiki]] automatically links to the
parent.

Question: Can anyone come up with a case where you think you want to have
a child page with the same name as the parent? Or in other words, is this
a serious limitation?

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr