[Pmwiki-users] Final hurdles to 2.0

John Rankin john.rankin
Tue Oct 19 15:26:26 CDT 2004

On Wednesday, 20 October 2004 5:02 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>2.  $Group / $Name / $PageName template variables
>
>Several have recently commented that $Name causes confusion/ambiguity, so
>we need a replacement.  '$Group' doesn't seem to cause much difficulty--
>it's just too obvious.  That means we need a way to identify a page's
>name both by its simple name and by its full path name.

>Some ideas:
>   group:
>      {$Group}, {$PageGroup}, {$GroupName}
>   simple name:
>      {$Name}, {$PageName}, {$SimpleName} (too long), {$Page} (too ambiguous),
>      {$Topic}, {$Sheet}, {$Leaf}, {$Base}, {$BaseName}
>   full group+name:
>      {$Path}, {$PagePath}, {$FullPath}, {$FullName}, {$FullPageName},
>      {$PageName}

FWIW: my full name is John Rankin, my family name is Rankin and my
given name is John. In my head, family name = group and given name
= name. (I say 'My name is John' not 'My given name is John') So:

    {$Group}
    {$Name}
    {$FullName}

work for me. But that's just me.

I think the primary criterion should be what's going to make the
most sense to Patrick's hypothetical 'naive author'.

I asked myself what language I use to explain wiki names to new users.
I tend to talk about 'the page's name is HomePage; its full name is
Demo.HomePage' and so on. I avoid words that require any kind of IT
knowledge to interpret, like Path.

People understand the need for names to be unique so the wiki can
find them. So they seem to understand that the name is unique within
a group and the full name is unique within the wiki.

just my 5 cents

--
JR