[Pmwiki-users] Why heirarchy?

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Tue Oct 19 09:35:24 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 05:51:48PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:08:53PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > And I should also say that I'm very much in favor of hierarchical
> > > content.
> >
> > Why? I've been reading these threads but I'm having a hard time coming
> > up with a real problem that needs solving. Do you just want syntactic
> > relief from ReallyLongGroupNames or what?
>
> i want to start a wiki for linux-related stuff, containing things
> like:
>
> Multimedia
>   Sound
>     OSS
>     ALSA
> Filesystems
>   Disk filesystems
>     EXT2
>     EXT3
>     Reiser
>   Pseudo filesystems
>     /proc
>     tmpfs

So the following doesn't work for you why?

Multimedia
MultimediaSound
MultimediaSoundOSS
MultimediaSoundALSA
FileSystems
FileSystemsDisk
FileSystemsDiskExt2
FileSystemsDiskExt3
FileSystemsDiskReiser
FileSystemsPseudo
FileSystemsPseudoProc
FileSystemsPseudoTmpfs

I think the answer to "why not the above?" will contain clues to the
problem you are really trying to solve.

For instance, if you're trying to avoid typing ReallyLongPageName
repeatedly, then perhaps a mechanism to alias it to something shorter
is all you need (without all the foibles of hierarchy)

Or perhaps you're trying to avoid the visual clumping of concepts and
you just just need a separator:  FileSystems.Disk.Ext2

etc.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff