[Pmwiki-users] Re: Why heirarchy?

Gunnar Wagenknecht g.wagenknecht
Tue Oct 19 03:58:10 CDT 2004

John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:

> Wikipedia has a lot of thoughtful discussion on page organisation,
> which are well worth a read. Here is one place to start
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Disambiguation

Well, there are a lot of pros and cons for every side. Basically it's just
like people think and work. Some like to organize hierarchically and some
not. Just because Wikipedia does not should not prevent others from
orgenizing their sites the way they like.

However, I personally prefer clean structured URLs. That's the nature of
URLs. Taking the example it's way better to link to a site with
http://mysite/Multimedia/Sound/OSS/ or
http://mysite/projects/great-pmwiki/howtos/ than
http://mysite/wiki/MultimediaSoundOSS or
http://mysite/wiki/projectsgreatpmwikihowtos

Of course you can try to be an Apache artist and write some URL rewrite
rules but
ForcingPeopleIntoAnAllFlatInOnePageModeJustBecauseIt'sAWikiIsTheWrongWay.

Gunnar