[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: can pmwiki handle hierarchical content?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Oct 18 19:06:11 CDT 2004

A reminder to try to keep the messages short, folks.  :-)

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:00:48AM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > Similarly, if I'm running a script called "/home/pmichaud/bin/myscript",
> > and inside of that script I make reference to a file called "./data", the
> > referenced file is "/home/pmichaud/bin/data" and not
> > "/home/pmichaud/bin/myscript/data".
>
> An observation: Your examples assume a path structure like this
> 	directory/directory/directory/file
> so to make it correspond to for instance a current page of
> 	Linux/Hardware/SoundCards
> we should interpret both 'Linux' and 'Hardware' as groups. (With the
> consequence that it gets confusing if Linux/Hardware also is a page)

Well, I can't imagine that someone would want 'Linux/Hardware' to display
empty content or "invalid page name", so there needs to be some way to
associate page content with 'Linux/Hardware' even if
'Linux/Hardware/Soundcards' exists.  To rephrase, authors are going to
want 'Linux/Hardware' to display some content, so it either has to have
the content itself (which, as you say, "gets confusing") or redirect to
another location with the content.

> Well, it is a good point. One of the points I'm trying to make is that we
> should have the same (or a similar) "arithmetic" for URIs as we have for
> page paths, because it's URIs that normal authors use (and not file
> systems).

> I agree, that is also a reasonable interpretation, especially if you are
> used to working with file systems. Based on these two interpretations, we
> can formalize a rule for how [[<some-path>]] should be interpreted:

It's reasonable even within the context of HTML and URLs.  If I'm
viewing http://www.example.com/dir/mypage.html, and mypage.html has
to be http://www.example.com/dir/otherpage.html and not
http://www.example.com/dir/mypage.html/otherpage.html.  In this case
the '.' refers to the directory path and not the current displayed page
(contrast with your proposal, in which '.' refers to the current page
and not the current group).