[Pmwiki-users] Re: can pmwiki handle hierarchical content?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Oct 18 14:38:01 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 04:02:57PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> my thoughts so far:
> 1) i like the *fundamental* names Group and Page.
> [...]

Eek, PLEASE don't hijack the thread!  This thread is for discussing
hierarchical groups in PmWiki, not the "Variable names" thread
discussing how to refer to the parts of a page's name!

>   finally, let me toss out one more idea.  in order to support
> multi-level groups (and, no, i'm not arguing for their inclusion, just
> saying "if"), you have to decide how you'd define the Group and Page
> part of a page's full name.

As I noted at the beginning of this thread (about hierarchical groups),
the problem is NOT in figuring out "what's a group" vs. "what's a page"--
that part is indeed fairly simple.  The problem is figuring out how one
page can unambiguously reference other pages in other parts of the
hierarchy.  And saying it's exactly analogous to "dirname" and
"basename" is incorrect, for the reasons I'm highlighting in other
parts of the thread.