[Pmwiki-users] Re: can pmwiki handle hierarchical content?

Stefan Candea stefan
Fri Oct 15 08:57:38 CDT 2004

>>> if
>>> the
>>>
>>> ok, that sounds like what i'm after, which is wiki links that emulate
>>> basic directory and file names -- if i don't qualify a link name, like
>>> "Overview", it's relative to the current directory (or WikiGroup, as
>>> you call it).
>>>
>>> and these groups/namespaces work recursively?  down to arbitrary
>>> levels? can i have a WikiGroup of WikiGroups?  if that's true, that
>>> might solve my problem.  i'll download and start playing.
>>thanks.
>>
>>never mind, i just got to the part of the FAQ that explains that wiki
>>groups don't work recursively.  dang.
>>
>>rday
>>

> I'm not sure whether this will solve your problem, but you might try
> tavi.sourceforge.net, which I believe supports Page/Subpage/Subsubpage
> structures. Don't know about the renaming issue though.

I know there was a ton of discussions on this.  However, can someone
explain simply (what did it come down to?) why having pages as files and
groups as subdirectories was a no-no from the begining?  In tackling
hierarchical groups did this approach require a huge effort or was a
conceptual decision (i.e. not PmWikiPhilosophy)?

LinuxHardwareSoundCardsNameofcardDriverVersion1 style gets a little long
to be referenced in a page ...

I have been trying to use PmWiki to maintain some system documentation and
I find it hard to only use 1 group level.

WikiFarms may also be easier to implement/maintain/understand this way.

Feedback appreciated,
Stefan.