[Pmwiki-users] diff process runaway

Joshua Hunter hunterji
Thu Oct 7 22:30:22 CDT 2004

I got an unhappy email from the IT staff of the university I work at:

"Your 'php pmwiki.php' process on the staff webserver had spawned a 'diff'
process that was using 100% of the processor on one of the servers.

Many other 'php pmwiki.php' processes were also running, but seemed to be
rapidly created and destroyed again.

These runaway processes used 1013.79 cpu minutes before I killed them. (see
output of 'assets' below)"

Some experimenting has showed that the diff process runs out of
control whenever I save command on text that is greater than the text
editing box.  (that is the scroll bar becomes visible).  Short pages
save fine.  Everything else runs fine without incident.

I can then shell out and run a kill command on the diff process.  Once
the kill command is complete the page is saved and looks fine.
Obviously I can't run this command on every edit of every page that is
greater than one page long.

Any suggestions?