[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Acrobatics while typing [:...:] and math markup

chr@home.se chr
Sun Oct 3 19:06:36 CDT 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > Or is line continuation not allowed inside directives?
>
> I haven't considered the possibility of line continuations within directives
> yet.  But the pattern as written above wouldn't handle it (but could
> probably be made to do so).

I'm not sure we really need line continuation within directives, although
I do know that I've used them for links. OTOH, a user might wonder why '\'
works everywhere but in directives.

> And, we can make things a bit stricter still, by requiring directives
> to always begin with a letter:
>
>      $ROSPatterns['/\\(:([[:alpha:]].*?):\\)/'] = '[:$1:]';

Probably a good idea.

> > Just like we have a 'replace on save pattern', could we have a 'replace
> > before edit pattern'? The idea is that this pattern would replace all
> > [:xxx:] with (:xxx:) before the author sees the source in the edit form.
>
> Although I don't plan to support it directly with something analogous
> to $ROSPatterns, it *is* (easily) possible to do this in v2.

Might be interesting to have, to see what happens. In principle, these
patterns could be selected based on user preferences, allowing everyone to
have their own customized markup language. Or you could have it page
dependent and/or controlled by some special directive. The potential for
confusion is enormous here ;-)

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr