markup quick ref (was: Re: [Pmwiki-users] pmwiki.org converted to 2.0.devel27)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Nov 30 20:16:43 CST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 09:20:06PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:

> The main difficulty is that some of the markup relies on the "absolute"
> position on the page, so it becomes impossible to put an example into a two
> column table. For example the following code:
>
> ||this markup||does this||
> ||[=''italics''=]||''italics''||
>
> works just fine, but it fails miserably when I get to:
>
> ||this markup||does this||
> ||[=!!Heading 2=]||!!Heading 2||

Use advanced tables.

(:cellnr:)
this markup
(:cell:)
does this
(:cellnr:)
[@!!Heading 2@]
(:cell:)
!!Heading 2
(:endtable:)

> The only way I can think of to do this is with an included page marked up
> in HTML that renders the correct way. Is that possible? I haven't tried yet
> (think I will now!!).

I have absolutely no problem with creating specialized directives
or markup that would make it easier for people to understand or find
the markup sequences (PmWikiPhilosophy #1: "favor writers over readers").
I.e., we could come up with (:markupref !!Heading2:) that somehow knows
how to create the 2-column format (or whatever) that is easy to understand.

So, don't feel too constrained by what we can do with existing wiki markup,
as that can be augmented for a specialized purpose such as this.  If
someone can come up with something (in HTML) that works well, I can go
from there to find a way to integrate it into the wiki.  And we can even
avoid wiki markup entirely-- the edit form is specified in the
$PageEditFmt variable, and we can really put any HTML we want into that.
(Although it is nice when the reference pages are themselves wiki pages,
so I'll be aiming to keep that feature if at all possible.)