[Pmwiki-users] Re: external links in page history

chr@home.se chr
Mon Nov 29 07:58:18 CST 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2004-11-29  07:12 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >So, the obvious suggestion is to prevent such links from appearing as links
> >in the page history -- i.e., let the link address appear but not as a link.
> >This would make it clearer to a wikispammer that the page history isn't
> >going to help them much.  Alternatively, external links in the page history
> >could be converted entirely to non-http: text.

Fine by me (does the wiki spammers even know there are page histories?)

> I doubt very much that spammers look at META information or read
> "robots.txt" files, so the fact that the link appears at all - even as
> straight text - will keep them coming back. However, conversion to
> non-http: text is a good first step.

But keeping it as straight text won't help them, right? The way I feel,
anything that doesn't help them is a good thing...

> Is the solution to this problem not something like the blacklist plugin? I
> know there are an unlimited number of spammers with unlimited resources,
> but having some portion of the posts bounced will at least reduce the load
> on the Wiki users and admins.

What would you blacklist? External links to certain URIs, or posts made
from certain sources?

/C

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr