[Pmwiki-users] vspace paragraphs

Val Sharp val
Thu Nov 4 15:35:28 CST 2004

Here's a post for this list that went astray when I hit 'Reply'
instead of 'Reply All' - just thought I'd repost here for completeness

Patrick R. Michaud, on 04.11.04 15:05, wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:55:06AM +0000, Val Sharp wrote:
>

>> [...] But I'll have to admit, I have little idea of how hard that
>> would be to implement here - you'll know that far better than me
>> :-)
>
> So far it's seem to be a far bigger pain to implement this than the
>  results are worth (basically requiring a complete redesign of
 > PmWiki's engine).

Aye, I imagine it's not the sort of change you'd want to make to an
existing product  :-)

> ... But then W3C turns around and restricts paragraphs to not be
> able to contain lists, tables, or other display elements. ...

One can always use DIVs instead, since they can contain block or
inline elements ... bare text can go directly into them, and be
interspersed with block elements. Doesn't say anywhere that one has to
use a P for blocks of text.

"The DIV and SPAN elements, in conjunction with the id and class
attributes, offer a generic mechanism for adding structure to
documents. These elements define content to be inline (SPAN) or
block-level (DIV) but impose no other presentational idioms on the
content. Thus, authors may use these elements in conjunction with
style sheets, the lang attribute, etc., to tailor HTML to their own
needs and tastes."[1]

(Using a P and restricting content to inline elements for something
like wikitrails can also make customising a little harder too. I went
MakeTrailStop, till sense got the better of me  :-)

> ...  <p class='vspace'></p> seems to be the best of several
> not-very-good solutions.

And given that $HTMLVSpace is customisable, it shouldn't really be a
problem  :-)

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#edef-DIV>

--
Best regards,