[Pmwiki-users] Subpages markup

John Rankin john.rankin
Tue Nov 2 13:57:34 CST 2004

In some instances, the requirement for hierarchical pages can be
met by having a simple way to distinguish between pages wanting
the same name in the same group -- a 'disambiguation' strategy.

For a discussion, see
http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki2/pmwiki.php/Cookbook/SubpageMarkup

In some cases where people have been proposing page hierarchies,
subpages may be all that is required.

In other cases where people have been suggesting that page
hierarchies would make pmwiki over complex, subpages may offer
a simple and useful extension for some applications.

In many cases subpages are unnecessary and best avoided.

The subpages script is 5 lines long.

A simple example (others are on the link above). Suppose our
movie wiki contains TheItalianJob. Is this the '60s classic or
the '00s remake? One suggestion was to make the year a group
and put movies into groups by year. Since most movies don't
have multiple versions, an alternative is to use subpages.
On TheItalianJob we include links to [[*1968]] and [[*2004]].
The * tells pmwiki to make this a subpage of TheItalianJob.

Thoughts or questions welcome.

I had one question. Does PmWiki 2 let you limit a search to
page names containing a search string? One may well want
to list all pages in a group that have a name ending in
*hobbies or starting with TheItalianJob*.

--
JR