[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: encouraging alt text/marketing and search engines

Christian Ridderström chr
Sun May 23 16:10:56 CDT 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 01:48:20PM -0500, Tommy Hern wrote:
> > I agree with Christian that "We might even consider an option (controlled
> > by the admin) where the user must add an alt-text -- AFAIK, they're
> > required by the standard."
>
> While this is a good idea, the question is "What should PmWiki do if someone
> places an image URL in a page but forgets the alt-text?"
>
> Possible answers:
>    1.  Refuse the post
>    2.  Don't convert the image URL into an inline image or link.
>    3.  Treat the image as a normal URL, and then the way that something
>        gets treated as an inline image is that the URL has a quoted
>        string after it.
>
>        Attach:filename.jpg             -- link to filename.jpg
>        Attach:filename.jpg"My photos"  -- inline image, alt="My photos"
>        Attach:filename.jpg""           -- inline image, alt=""

     4.  Don't convert the URI into an image, but leave it as a URI
         and write in big red letters "Alternate text is missing!" ;-)

     5.  Show a warning just after the user has pressed "Save".
         Maybe this would be a good thing to have in general, if we come
         up with more things that are bad, or if the user is using a
	 style that is depreceated.

> Another thought:  since quotation marks aren't allowed in
> URIs, an answer may be to simply include the alt text in the target,
> as in
>
>    [[Attach:filename.jpg "My photos"]]

I think we need to remember that some people like spaces in their names,
so that example should be:

	[[Attach:file name.jpg "My photos"]]

> This way the alt text wouldn't have to abut the URL.  It becomes a bit
> trickier with
>
>    [[somepage | Attach:filename.jpg "My photos"]]
>
> how do we know the author didn't intend the link text to be rendered as
> text?

Well, I just suggested:

    [[somepage | [[figure file name.jpg | My photos]]

in another post. I like the symmtery of using '|' as "or" in both the link
directive and the figure directive.

/Christian