[Pmwiki-users] Re: $UrlPathPattern defined/commented

Christian Ridderström chr
Sun May 23 11:37:27 CDT 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> ..., but I've yet to find a real URL that end in period,
> comma, or question mark.

I've actually come across one... a link to Microsoft Exchange server read
something like:

	http://218.100.232.10.

where the last '.' made my browser (Opera/Linux) choke. This is of course
a really bad example, since I suspect that the URI above is invalid :-)

> However, I see tons of places where wiki authors will put a URL at the
> end of a sentence and immediately follow it with a period, comma, or
> question mark that should not be part of the URL.

I agree, and think the current behaviour is really clever.

> PmWiki effectively does this already -- but more robustly -- it looks
> for , . ? followed by something not allowed in a URL (including space).
> If the , . or ?  is followed by something that's allowed in a URL,
> then the , . or ? are part of the URL.

I guess this could be added to the documentation somewhere -- I can write
it, but someone please give me a good pagename? ("ExternalLinks"?)

/Christian